Saturday, June 11, 2011

Court Trip to Ethiopia

It has been a whirlwind since returning from Ethiopia last weekend. School is now out and the jet lag has finally let up its grasp on me. I finally feel that I am able to share all that we experienced in Africa. First of all, Mamush is an amazing little boy! He is full of energy, affectionate, sweet, inquisitive, and very bright. I was so pleased to see his terrific grasp of the English language, as well as his academic skills. I felt guilty and sad that I didn't know more of his language as he speaks Amharic, Tigrino and English.
 The care center was a wild place....such a blessing to have so many caring staff there to assist with all of those kids! We have been seeing pictures of the care center and kids for months and my first impression when actually walking into the place was, WOW....this place is tiny! Everything is much smaller in person...the house...the furniture...the kids...the courtyard...everything. Given the intense poverty just outside the doors of the care center I am so thankful for Mamush and the others that have the opportunity to find forever families, and live safely until that forever day in a caring environment.
My mother-in-law, Mary, was able to make the trip with me. She went with Matt, my brother-in-law, on his court trip last year as well. She makes the sad trips where we meet and leave the kids, while the Moms and Dads travel on the Embassy trip to pick up the kids. Such a blessing to have her with me as this was her second trip and she knew all the ropes. On their first trip they built some incredible friendships with the men and woman who work in and run the guesthouse where we stay. I heard many stories about these amazing people and was very excited to meet them. I was not disappointed as they are truly amazing friends! The kind of friends that you meet and it quickly feels like you have known and loved them forever.

The court experience was nothing like I anticipated. First we waited in a hot and stuffy waiting room which was packed full of adoptive parents as well as birth parents who were waiting to give up their children in court. We were called as a group, everyone from our agency who had court that day, into a small office where the judge sat across from us at her desk. She asked a few short questions of me and it was over. Our MOWA letter had not arrived so we haven't officially passed court yet. Once that letter arrives in the court all of our paperwork will be sent to the US Embassy for their portion of the process. 

We are hoping and praying for a quick turnaround as it was very difficult to leave Mamush. The day we were leaving I told Mamush I would be back in three mensas (that's how he says months). He got a big grin on his face and replied, "No....One Mensa." I LOVE YOU MAMUSH!



1 comment:

  1. That whole court proceeding is kind of underwhelming, isn't it? We were a little surprised by that. Your son is beautiful and I hope you get your MOWA letter soon and are on the path to bringing your boy home soon!

    ReplyDelete